Thursday, April 5, 2012

Mood of "Tuesdays with Morrie."



The prevailing mood of the book is mostly serious. There were not many times for laughter and or for tears. However, there was the perfect amount of both to make it right in between a humorous mood, and a somber mood. 

On the second Tuesday Mitch and Morrie met, they talked about feeling sorry for yourself. At one point in the chapter, Morrie says, “I give myself a good cry if I need it. But then I concentrate on all the good things still in my life. On the people who are coming to see me. On you – if its Tuesday. Because we’re Tuesday people.” Mitch grins, then repeats, “Tuesday people.” The moment starts off sad, with Morrie admitting to crying at times, but it ends in a smile from Mitch and a funny remark from Morrie. Frequently, moments like these happen throughout the book. In the same chapter, Mitch describes when he was helping Morrie from his wheelchair, because Morrie had lost all feeling in his legs due to his terminal illness, ALS. “Holding him like that moved me in a way I cannot describe, except to say I felt the seeds of death inside his shriveling frame, and as I laid him in his chair, adjusting his head on the pillows, I had the coldest realization that our time was running out. And I had to do something.” This is a more serious point in the book. 

Towards the end of the book, Morrie is very ill. But he still loves to talk to Mitch every Tuesday. When Mitch brings his wife to meet Morrie, Morrie is ecstatic. He tells Mitch and his wife a story of the time he stood in on a woman’s surgery just for amusement. He told them that he was about to faint from all of the blood when one of the nurses asked, “What’s the matter, Doctor?” Morrie then replied, “I’m no damn doctor! Get me out of here!” At the end of the story, the three sat there laughing together. Mitch shares his thoughts on the story and says that he found it interesting that Morrie almost fainted from watching another person’s illness, and now he was able to endure his own. The humorous story is followed by more serious thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment