Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Author's purpose in writing "Tuesdays with Morrie."

              Almost everyone who has read "Tuesdays with Morries" by Mitch Albom had something positive to say about it. Amy Tan, author of "The Joy Luck Club," raved about the book. "This a true story that shines and leaves you forever warmed by its afterglow." Bernie S. Siegel shared the same thought when he quoted, "This book is an incredible treasure.. I laughed, cried and ordered five copies for our children." 

            The purpose of this book is definitely to entertain. It contains humor and sarcasm with twists of seriousness and wisdom. Primarily, the book was written to express a certain man’s views of life’s important lessons while staring death in the face. There are multiple examples throughout the book of entertainment, but a few definitely jumped out at me. When Mitch, the main character, and his former professor, Morrie meet every Tuesday, they discuss the world, their regrets in life, death, family, emotions, the fear of aging, money, marriage, culture, forgiveness, and about how love goes on. Any reader can relate to any or all of these topics. 

            "Tuesdays with Morrie" is definitely one of those books that you find yourself constantly thinking about. Coming home and cuddling up to this book for hours in my family room was definitely enough motive to get me through each school day. I read this book for pleasure, therefore, it was entertaining to me. One part I liked was the beginning when Mitch describes Morrie. He describes him as an old, grey-haired college professor. Then, he informs the reader that Morrie loved to dance, even in his old age. When picturing a college professor in my head, I see a "strictly-business" adult with a lifeless personality who does not care about many people on a personal level. My image of that changed when I saw the old, black-and-white picture on the first page of the book of Morrie dancing and smiling. In other words, the book goes beyond the text to entertain.The multiple life lessons that served as the themes of this book are definitely a form of amusement, also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment